These buttery shortbread biscuits come together with 4 pantry-staple ingredients, are super quick to whip up and has all the flavours we all love for an ideal afternoon tea. You can add all kinds of flavours to this basic shortbread, from cocoa, citrus zest, mocha or nuts, to spices and herbs.
A classic crumbly and rich shortbread lies in its simplicity and here’s how you make this Scottish classic :
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar or icing sugar
- 1 cup vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Using a stand mixer or a hand beater, beat the butter until it’s creamy.
- Add the sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy. Drizzle the vanilla extract and add the flour in parts while beating on low. If required, add a tablespoon of water to bring the dough together.
- Wrap and place the dough in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough and flatten it to about 1 cm in thickness. Cut into rectangles or use a cookie cutter to make shapes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the slices on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 -20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool before serving.