Scones make a great tea time snack. They’re light, soft and can be made sweet or savoury. They’re crisp on the outside and have a tender and flaky inside. You can make these gluten-free by swapping all-purpose flour with oat flour or almond flour.
(As a rule of thumb, for 1 cup all-purpose flour, substitute with 1 1/2 cup of gluten-free flour)
Our simple vanilla scone recipe is buttery and has a melt-in-your-mouth texture. Although they’re delicious as is, you can opt for a variety of add-ins like berries, nuts, chocolate, raisins or any spices.
INGREDIENTS : –
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 3/4 cup plant-based milk
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 6 tbsp vegan butter or cold coconut oil
INSTRUCTIONS : –
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and sugar into a mixing bowl. Add the butter / oil and fold the mixture until it turns coarse.
3. Whisk in the milk and vanilla extract. Mix to form a moist dough.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough and flatten it about 1 inch in thickness. Using a cookie cutter dipped in flour, cut out pieces of dough and place them on a lined baking sheet.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until it turns golden and the top of the scones are lightly browned.
6. Remove from the oven and let the scones cool for about 10 minutes before serving. You can either drizzle some glaze or top with jam or whipped cream.