Stuffed Mushroom Caps (Easy Vegan Appetizer)
Stuffed mushrooms make a classic party snack. Filled with onion, mushroom stems, herbs and cheese, these mushroom bites are quick and easy to make with whatever ingredients you have at hand.
We’ve kept it simple with the stuffing, so feel free to get creative and load it with your choice of veggies and flavours.
You must know, these are highly addictive and you might end up eating a lot more than planned! So be careful… or just bake a double batch!
INGREDIENTS : –
- 10 -12 button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup tomato
- ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- Vegan cheddar/ parmesan/ mozzarella cheese (or nutritional yeast)
- Rinse the mushrooms in water and pat them dry.
- Gently twist and pull out the stems from the mushroom and set them aside (we’ll need them to make the stuffing). Use a spoon to gently scrape out any excess gills inside the mushroom caps.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add the cumin seeds, garlic, ginger, chilli, onion, tomato and finely chopped mushroom stems. Sauté until well- cooked.
- Add in the remaining spices to the pan, along with 4-5 tbsp of grated cheese and cilantro.
- Using a spoon, place the stuffing in each mushroom cap, pressing down and thoroughly filling it to the top.
- Top each mushroom cap with some more grated cheese.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees C. Grease the baking tray with oil, place the caps and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt and the mushrooms darken.
- You can also cook the caps by heating oil in a large skillet and gently placing them on the pan. Cover with a lid and let it cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool down for a few minutes. Garnish with finely chopped cilantro and serve with any preferred sauce.