Say goodbye to store-bought salsa with this quick and easy recipe of a staple Mexican dish! Salsa verde has a tangier and spicier flavour than other salsas like red salsa. We’ve mentioned below, both the roasted and boiled version of the recipe.
For the roasted salsa, you can either pan-roast the ingredients or broil them in the oven. The roasted method gives the salsa a stronger smoky taste, far more distinctive than the boiled method which tends to have a mild flavour. Made with only fresh vegetables, this green sauce is guilt-free, versatile and an absolute must-try!
INGREDIENTS : –
- 6 tomatillos or green raw tomatoes
- 2 jalapeños or green chillies
- 1 onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp water
INSTRUCTIONS : –
- Remove the husk from the tomatillos and wash thoroughly.
- For the boiled salsa, place the tomatillo, jalapeños, onion and garlic in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for about 10 minutes or until all the ingredients are completely soft.
- For a roasted salsa verde, heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Place the tomatillo, jalapeños, garlic and chopped onion. Roast for 4 minutes before flipping sides and continue to roast for another 4 minutes or until completely charred.
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients, cilantro, salt and lime juice. Blend it to a purée.
Serve as a dip or add to your dish of choice.