Worcestershire Sauce (Vegan)
This pungent brown sauce gets its complex flavour profile from a combination of tamarind paste, soy sauce, vinegar and a blend of spices.
It has a smokey, sweet-sour and tangy taste that adds a lot of depth in flavour when added to stir-fries, salads, sandwiches or when grilling and steaming veggies.
Follow this simple recipe and whip up this powerful umami sauce in under 20 minutes!
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup tamarind paste (concentrate)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water (or as required)
- 2 tbsp sugar or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp black peppercorn
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Lower the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes or until it turns dark auburn in colour.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before pouring it through a fine mesh sieve, discarding the solids.
- Transfer the sauce to a glass jar. If required, stir in 1-2 tbsp of water for a thinner consistency.