Savoury Caramelised Mushrooms (Vegan appetiser)
These sweet & savoury appetiser bites are deeply flavourful and requires only a handful of ingredients to make. The mushrooms are sautéed until golden-brown in caramelised sugar, making it sticky and meaty textured.
While you can mix in a variety of herbs and spices, we’ve kept the flavours rather minimum in this recipe to bring out the natural juiciness and earthy flavour of the mushrooms.
This dish is super versatile, and can be eaten stand alone or as an addition to your pizza topping, burgers, pasta and more!
- 10 button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 6 garlic pods, crushed
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame seeds,toasted
- Rinse the mushrooms under running water and pat them dry.
- Halve the mushrooms and place them in a mixing bowl.
- Add 1/2 tbsp olive oil and mix in salt, pepper, chilli powder and garlic.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over low-medium heat. Add the sugar and stir constantly for 5-7 minutes or until the sugar caramelises.
- Add the mushrooms mixture and mix well with the caramelised sugar. Toss for 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and let it cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Once ready, garnish with toasted sesame seeds and serve immediately.