Hara Bhara Kabab
This healthy appetiser is loaded with greens, potato, tofu and an assortment of Indian spices that feels like a celebration in your mouth!
This lush snack is easily one of the best kabab dishes ever, and a match made in heaven for vegans!
Make this at your next get-together and you won’t hear anyone say “no” to seconds!
- 1 bunch spinach
- 1 large potato, boiled
- 1 cup tofu, crumbled
- 3/4 cup green peas, boiled
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp gram flour (dry roasted)
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Cashews, halved
- Oil for Frying
- De-stem, rinse and wash the spinach.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the washed spinach. Let it cook for about 2 minutes before draining the water out.
- Allow the spinach to cool before adding it to blender and blending it to a coarse mixture.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the ginger, garlic and chillies.
- Stir in the coriander powder, chilli powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, chat masala, garam masala and kasuri methi, and sauté for about a minute.
- Add the crumbled tofu, stir until well combined and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- To a large bowl, add the boiled potato and mash until no lumps remain. Add the spinach, coriander leaves, mint leaves, tofu mixture, salt, cornflour, gram flour and 2 tbsp of bread crumbs. Mix well to form a non-sticky dough.
- Take a heaping tablespoon of kebab mixture and shape into a patty. Proceed to do the same for the remaining mixture.
- Carefully roll the patties in bread crumbs and press a cashew halve into each patty.
- Heat oil in a pan or a skillet over medium heat and fry the patties on both sides until golden brown and crisp.
Serve hot with mint chutney, tomato ketchup and pickled onions.