Easy Vegan Bechamel Sauce (White Pasta Sauce)
Classic white sauces –the magic sauce that gives life to bland dishes without needing to use half of your pantry. But since every white sauce is dairy-based, we are here to guide you to make it vegan (and just as delish!).
Instead of butter use vegan butter or olive oil.
Instead of dairy milk, use plant milk.
Your classic white sauce is now vegan! Add in your favorite seasonings, or follow the recipe below (or be brave and experiment with new seasonings), and you’re ready for your next pasta party.
- 3 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
- 2 cups plant milk
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Garlic powder or Italian seasoning (optional)
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour until the mixture thickened and starts to bubble.
Stir fast and continuously for 1-2 minutes. (Be careful not to burn.)
- Now set the heat to low and pour warm milk part by part into the pan so that lumps don’t form.
Continue to whisk for about 3 minutes or until the sauce is thickened to a creamy consistency.
- Remove from the heat and add in the spices of your choice, such as salt, black pepper, garlic spice oregano, or nutmeg.
Best used immediately. You can also store the sauce in the refrigerator using an airtight container for 2-3 days.