Butterscotch Bars (Gluten-free + Vegan)
This is hands-down the easiest recipe for vegan butterscotch bars! The method isn’t that much different than whipping up some cookie dough and throwing it into the oven.
Thick, chewy and gooey bars made sinfully decadent with beet sugar as the star ingredient.
These bars have a rich and deep flavour, similar to soft-crack candy or toffee, and is best served with a scoop of ice-cream!
- 1 cup beet sugar
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups oat flour (or any gluten-free flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 /2 cup coconut cream (or any vegan cream)
- 1/2 cup butterscotch baking chips or vegan white chocolate crushed into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a stand mixer or a hand beater, beat sugar and butter at medium speed for about 4-5 minutes or until well-combined and creamed.
- Stir in the cream and vanilla extract.
- Slowly incorporate the flour and baking powder, beating constantly to form a smooth dough.
- Mix in the butterscotch chips or white chocolate chunks.
- Spread the dough into a greased baking pan, at about 1 inch in thickness.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is fairly firm and the edges turn slightly golden-brown. (Note : don’t overcook as the goal is to keep the bars soft and gooey.)
- Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool in pan.
- Once cooled, cut into bars and serve!